Jayne Hardy is Manager of the Services Office at ANU College of Law.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself including what brought you to ANU.
I started at the Services Office in May 2000. I was a full-time horse riding instructor and competitor before that. My partner Barb and friend Kate thought I needed a permanent job, and found this one for me.
2. What do you enjoy most about working at the ANU College of Law?
3. What is your favourite spot on campus?
Down near Sullivans Creek on the grass area where I do my martial arts training
4. How do you relax away from university?
Not sure I never really relax, but I enjoy my athletics training, martial arts training and just being on the farm in Gundaroo
5. How would you describe Canberra in three words?
Picturesque, calm and cultural
6. What inspired you to pursue your professional field?
The jobs I had were leaving me very little time to relax and sleep, so my partner and friend saw this job come up at ANU and thought it would right up my alley because I have always been an active person. An added bonus was a permanent job with benefits, like leave etc.
7. What was your dream job as a child?
A vet or in the Army
8. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
The Queen to talk about her horses and whether I could get a job in her stables!
9. Who’s your favourite fictional character?
Harry Potter and most of the comic heroes
10. What’s a project or hobby you’re currently working on that motivates you?
Plenty of projects on our farm, but one of them is to get some more chickens because we love home grown eggs. We have to secure their living quarters before hand so the foxes can’t get them … again!
11. What’s your favourite quote?
"I’ll be back."
12. What’s the secret to working from home successfully?
No idea as this is the first day! I'll get back to you in a month on that.
13. Who is someone you look up to?
My athletics coach who has been coaching me since 1997
14. What was the last book you read?
I am reading the Raiders book Absolutely Bleeding Green (2019) because my brother, Jon, was a foundation player.
15. What’s an underrated movie?
G.I. Jane (1997)
16. What’s your favourite dish?
Barb’s home-made chilli con carne
17. What’s your favourite place in Canberra to visit?
Sammy’s Kitchen, Haigh's Chocolates and Dendy!
18. What’s your favourite song or playlist to work to?
Soundtrack from The Greatest Showman (2017)
19. What’s a skill you’d like to learn?
20. What advice would you give to others feeling uneasy during this time?
We will get through this. Take each day as it comes, help where you can and live by the rules.
See more Humans of ANU Law here