Dr Jonathan Liljeblad is a senior lecturer at ANU College of Law.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself including what brought you to ANU.
Opportunities to work alongside colleagues who share the same interests as me
2. What do you enjoy most about working at the ANU College of Law?
It's a very supportive environment, both professionally and personally
3. What is your favourite spot on campus?
4. How do you relax away from university?
Relax? What's that?
5. How would you describe Canberra in three words?
Federal government central
6. What inspired you to pursue academia?
It is a career that provides space for critical reflections about issues in the world
7. What was your dream job as a child?
8. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
9. Who’s your favourite fictional character?
10. What’s a project or hobby you’re currently working on that motivates you?
Counting the mistakes being made by the US government in dealing with the coronavirus crisis
11. What’s your favourite quote?
"Here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart."- E. E. Cummings
12. What’s the secret to working from home successfully?
When we work, we work; when we play, we play; when we rest, we rest
13. Who is someone you look up to?
Richard Winters, Major, 502nd Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, US Army (retd., deceased)
14. What was the last book you read?
Twelve Kings of Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu
15. What’s an underrated movie?
Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) (2005)
16. What’s your favourite dish?
Burritos camarones parilla baja, con frijoles negros, arroz limon, queso blanco
17. What’s your favourite place in Canberra to visit?
18. What’s your favourite song or playlist to work to?
Internet swing radio - big band music from the 1930s and 1940s!
19. What’s a skill you’d like to learn?
Argentine milonga, la verdadera destreza, ultra-distance stand-up paddle-boarding
20. What advice would you give to others feeling uneasy during this time?
"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" - Winnie the Pooh
See more Humans of ANU Law here