Kath Hall is an Associate Professor at ANU College of Law
1. Tell us a bit about yourself including what brought you to ANU.
When I applied for my job in 2008, my family and I were living in Jakarta, Indonesia (husband and three kids). I was working on my PhD as well as doing part-time work for AusAID. I had always said that ANU was the only law school I wanted to work in because of its collegiality, academic excellence and support for a diversity of research interests. But when I was flying back for the interview, I was still not sure if I should go back to academia or into the APS. Then, I arrived at the College and I knew where I wanted to be.
2. What do you enjoy most about working at the ANU College of Law?
Definitely my colleagues, both professional and academic
3. What is your favourite spot on campus?
The Gods Cafe at Hedley Bull. I have a complicated coffee and they always get it right.
4. How do you relax away from university?
I love the South Coast and particularly Mollymook. We have a little apartment there which we escape to whenever I can (obviously not now)! I also love yoga.
5. How would you describe Canberra in three words?
The nation's capital
6. What inspired you to pursue academia?
I am really well-suited to working independently, thinking about big picture problems and I also love teaching
7. What was your dream job as a child?
A flight attendant. I have always loved travel.
8. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
Frida Kahlo. Not only do I really love her artwork, but she lived an unconventional and interesting life.
9. Who’s your favourite fictional character?
Winnie the Pooh
10. What’s a project or hobby you’re currently working on that motivates you?
That's a tricky one. Life in our household with two working parents, three kids and everything that involves has never really left much time for hobbies. But I'm now watching a lot of Scandi crime - so does that count?
11. What’s your favourite quote?
"People will forget what you say, forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."
12. What’s the secret to working from home successfully?
For me it's a quiet spot with a nice view
13. Who is someone you look up to?
I'm really inspired by strong independent women who challenge the dominant ideology. It's hard to single one woman out, but if I had to it would be Catherine McKinnon.
14. What was the last book you read?
Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton
15. What’s an underrated movie?
St Elmo's Fire (for any 1980s tragics!) (1985)
16. What’s your favourite dish?
I love any type of curry
17. What’s your favourite place in Canberra to visit?
The Bookplate at the Nash
18. What’s your favourite song or playlist to work to?
I share an account with my children so I am often listening to their playlists. At the moment they involve a lot of retro hits.
19. What’s a skill you’d like to learn?
I know it's random, but I'd like to learn how to fly a helicopter
20. What advice would you give to others feeling uneasy during this time?
Talk to people about your feelings and if there's no one around, hug a soft toy!
See more Humans of ANU Law here