Summer/Winter in Geneva
Experience international law first hand; study in Geneva, the home of the UN’s European Headquarters and more than 200 international organisations. A city where the world comes together in peace.
Law students from the ANU College of Law may undertake an intensive 2-week course in Geneva (LAWS4258 or 8458 International Organisations (Geneva)). The course, held in January, focuses on the work of international organisations located in Geneva, site of the European Headquarters of the United Nations.
Particular attention will be paid to various aspects of international human rights, international trade and environmental law, and a number of other specialised areas of international law – given the location in Geneva of inter alia the WTO, the OHCHR, UNHCR, WHO, and the ICRC.
19 January to 1 February 2020.
These dates may change by 1-2 days. Exact dates will be confirmed by the time applications are assessed. Participants are expected to make their own individual transportation arrangements to and from Geneva. Participants are strongly advised to arrive in Europe several days earlier, to recover from jet lag in time for the start of formal classes.
Convened by an ANU Law academic, the course comprises of approximately 50-60 hours of class time. Most classes will be conducted on the premises of various international organisations (UN bodies, specialised agencies and NGOs) visitedduring the program, or on the Geneva Graduate Insitute campus. In most cases, these presentations will be conducted by lawyers working at the organisation. In addition to contributions by the ANU Law academic, some of the classes may be conducted by Geneva-based academics and by officials in international organisations with academic experience.
All classes and visits will be conducted in English; knowledge of French is not required. Assessment for the course will principally take the form of an essay on an approved topic, to be completed by the participants early in the first semester, following their return to Australia.
- Participation in the program is restricted to LLB, LLBHons/combined degree or JD students, and students undertaking a graduate course of study specialising in International Law, e.g. Master of Laws in International Law.
- Only applicants who have completed at least a semester-length general International Law course will be considered.
- Only applicants who have met the course pre-requisites can apply.
- Only students enrolled at ANU are eligible to apply.
- Priority will be given to later-year students (e.g. students who have less than 12 semester-length courses (law and/or non-law) left to complete after the end of the current academic year).
- Preference will be given to students who have completed additional international law electives.
- Academic merit will be taken into account in selecting applicants.
Summary of program costs (excluding tuition fees)
|Administration Fee (payable to ANU College of Law)||AUD $190|
|Geneva accommodation (shared)||TBC|
|Estimated living expenses in Geneva||AUD $1,000|
|Airfares (exSydney,incl taxes)(depending on departure date)||from AUD $1,600|
Estimated living expenses in Geneva are based on a ‘normal’, comfortable, but not lavish, lifestyle based on AUD $75 per day (not including accommodation which is listed separately). They do not include additional (personal) expenses or additional travel insurance.
We are currently negotiating on-campus accommodation at the Geneva Graduate Institute and accommodation costs will be updated as soon as possible.
You can be covered via ANU Insurance for most of your trip. Further information about this will be provided to students. More information at ANU Insurance can be found here.
Please apply using the application form. Applications for 2020 are now closed
For further information contact College Student Administration Services
T 02 6125 3482
Ground Floor (around from the foyer)
Law Building, Fellows Road